Planning a wedding for some can be stressful and overwhelming. It can be confusing to know what are the best ways to go about planning, what are the essential services and how to know what is what!
Over the years we have stayed friends with most of our past brides and below they have shared some tips and tricks for planning your big day! Things they wished they had known beforehand!
- “Make sure you leave room on the day to slow down and take it all in. Everything happens so fast and in the lead up you are worried about all the details. You want to enjoy the day with your husband. That’s something very important but most people forget! Appreciate how its all come together after all the hard work and how your loved ones are all together celebrating with you.” – Jayde
2. “Don’t settle for just any photographer. Most people these days know at least one person who says they can photograph their wedding – but don’t do that!!! The photos are the only thing really left to help you remember the day – there is no going back if they are bad. You need to do your research, find a photographer you like – their style and their personality – and do a test shoot with them (like an engagement session) Don’t worry about price – the great ones are always worth every single cent!!! Your photographer can make or break your day and the memories you have after. Don’t skimp and do your research. Find someone who will love being a part of the day as much as you!” – Jayde
3. “Don’t do bonbonarie! No guests really care that much about them and it’s a big waste of money! 90% of them end up in the bin! Spend the money on something more meaningful.” – Sarah
4. “Pick flowers, which are in season. Most florists can get others but they cost more, wilt quicker and aren’t as nice as those which are actually in season at the time of your wedding day. Your florist will help you pick ones that suit your style and colours that will be the best for your time of year.” – Lisa
5. “Try sitting in your wedding dress! It might look amazing standing on the platform in the shop but you need to be able to actually sit on the day. (And be able to pee when you need too!!!)” – Amy
6. “Don’t let people rush you into making decisions about your wedding too fast. Enjoy your engagement and take your time in planning. You don’t have to do something in particular just because someone told you! Make it your own day. Focus on what’s most important to you both: great food, great photos, having lots of guests or only a few, what music is your style etc. Don’t spend your budget on things which aren’t as important to you – like flashy cars when you might want to get married and ready all at the same place!” – Lisa
7. “Be organized and leave plenty of time. Communicate with your suppliers regularly and trust their judgment! They have done this so many times and know what they are doing!” – Natalie
8. “Be clear with what you expect from your bridal party. Most people are honoured to be picked but they don’t know what you need form them if you aren’t clear. If you want your girls to all stay the night before – tell them. If you need the groomsmen to help with setting up or transport etc then ask! They cant help if they don’t know!” – Lisa
9. “Work with your celebrant/priest about times. And your photographer. You want to make sure your ceremony is at a great time for you and that will work for the rest of your day. Leave time to run late – it always happens and then at least you won’t be rushing through every part!” – Claire
10. “Pick readings if you want them and only ones, which mean something real to you. I regret picking the standard weddings ones because although they are beautiful they really meant nothing particular to me.” – Jac
We hope you find these tips from past brides helpful when planning your day! You want to make sure its right for you and your loved ones!